Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Life's a journey

I have talked about my hobby's and what, in my mind, makes me interesting. You may be bored with me for all I know. I hope not.

I am 40 years old and seperated from my wife of only 1 1/2 years. Her choice. It was a mismatch and I know it now.

I grew up the son of a Methodist minister and school teacher. One year I was even attending a christian school where my mom was my teacher and my dad was my principal. I was screwed. But they were good parents. I tried to learn from them all I could. Even tried not to make the same mistakes they did.

They separated when I was around 10 and waited to get divorced until I was 18.

Not that my dad did not want to pay child support but because they couldn't afford to go through a divorce with a minor on in the home in the early 80's. However, my father did his best to be there when I was involved in something like football or all the normal father-son things.

I grew up with 2 older brothers. The eldest is 9 years older than me. And the other is 8 years older then me. It was almost like being an only child part of the time.

Perhaps I was a bit of a mama's boy but I tried to be the man of the house most of the time. I was a skinny little geek with broad shoulders and a mountain of hair. My how things change. I am now a bald man with a gut. But I played baseball, soccer, ran track, and then football in high school. Your typical boy. But still a geek at heart.

When I was 11, I had my first seizure and they diagnosed me with epilepsy. I was lucky to even be alive though. I actually was born not breathing and 6 months later I had spinal miningitous. So this was yet another test. I have been on medication ever since. So playing sports was my way of being a normal kid and not giving into the situation and letting it take over my life.

After high school I moved to the Greenville SC area and found myself moving in with my mom and staying. Partly because I could not afford to live on my own and partly because I wanted to make sure I had someone near in case I needed to call 911.

Over the years I have had multiple jobs but never was happy in what I was doing. Not that they were bad jobs, with an exception here and there. But I just never saw myself retiring from them.

I have a memory problem. It's not like I cannot recall things like someone with alzhiemers. It's that I will forget to put the trash out. Or go to get pizza and forget what everyone wanted. And I think it is the reason I have issues in school. Mostly in math.

My soon to be ex-wife decided that I was retarded (she said as much in our last argument) and that I was refusing to take out the trash. Perhaps there is some damage form the issues when I was a kid and the seizures. But I am a good man. I also like to hang out with my friends, which she suggested, because I had stopped hanging out just so I could be there for her. Then she decided it was like having another child in the home. I could not make her happy.

So now I was thrown out, I did not leave her, and had to move back in with my mom and brother. I had no other options. I have found that I am happier and more stable without her. I wish her all the happiness, but I know she won't listen. Oh well.

Now that I am older, i think I have gotten wiser too. At least I hope so. Not a lot of people get second chances. I am in a stable job, have great friends and an awesome family. Maybe I'll get another chance at love. Who knows? Time will tell.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

2 comments:

  1. Your soon to be ex-wife is a very mentally unstable person. I am so sorry for what she did to you and I do hope you find love again someday with someone who actually deserves someone as good and decent as you are. I am proud to have you as my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Things are getting better. Time will be the best thing.

    ReplyDelete