Monday, October 10, 2011

War of the Wings VI

As you may have noticed, I am a member of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism). I try to make it to an event as often as I can but schedules do not always work in my favor. This past weekend was in my favor and I was able to go to the 6th annual "War of the Wings" in Booneville NC.

I had heard good things about this event and have wanted to go but have never had the time available to go. It is a 5 day/ 4night event that pits 2 of the barony's in NC against each other. All over land, of course.

This is a kingdom level event for the kingdom of Atlantia. The kingdom covers a good part of the east coast. From South Carolina to Maryland basically.

People from all over the kingdom come together to put their skills to the test. Be it with sword or an art. Along with all manner of other skills in between. They choose a side and compete for points. As they compete and receive these points, they are added up and the side with the most points at the end is the winner.

Sometimes the points are easily won and then at other times the points are fought for as hard as possible.

Some of the different events include jousting, fencing, arts and sciences, youth combat, archery, and heavy (or armored) combat. There are many that excel in these arts and others who dabble in them.

I dabble. However I would like to excel in the heavy combat. I just need time to practice. Another luxury that does not come easily for me. It will come.

I went to this event for the first time and truly enjoyed myself. I arrived on Thursday afternoon and set up my tent. A 14x14 period pavilion with a built in shade fly on the front. I then began helping the rest of the camp I was part of set up the community (or feast hall) pavilion. Then attempted to help put up a couple of personal pavilions.

There was a lot of work involved and I ended up with a few blisters, along with my knees wanting to lock up on me after they began to swell. More than I was ready for. I sooo need to loose weight.

After all that the camp looked amazing. I give all the props to the lady of the camp, Isabelle. She had a vision and it came off amazingly. Though I got the impression she wanted more.

The majority of the household I was a guest of this year was unable to come do to one reason or another. I am sure if the whole household had been there the workload would have been very light on each person. As it was we all were exhausted by the end of set up.

I scanned the merchants area and enjoyed getting to see friends that I only see at events. Or talk to on Facebook. The camps were a mixture of period and present day tenting. Our encampment was an attempted and purely period, or as close as possible. Non-period coolers, chairs and event tenting were given covers and camouflaged so as not to take away from the feel. We also had torches to mark the sides and entrances of the camp. And a large fire bowl for warmth and light at night.

The night sky's were clear every night during the event and made it much more enjoyable. This years weather was amazing with mid-seventies in the day and upper forties at night.

We did need propane heaters in the pavilions for extra warmth but a good comforter and blanket made up for any heat that was not felt at night.

When Saturday came and all the main events were happening, I awoke with very sore knees from all the hard work I had done. They were injures when I was younger and I know the limitations of them. I figured an additional 40+ pounds and 3 hours of armored combat was not something I could handle. So I bowed out of combat for the day.

Instead I watched some of the jousting and then went to the battle field to help in other ways. I became a water bearer. Someone that makes sure that all fighters are hydrated and in good health before returning to the battle.

The battle was a large melee fight that lasted 3 hours. When  a fight dies (determined by being hit in an area that would kill if real weapons were used) they return to a flagged area that is called resurrection point. They get water and then return to the fight. At the end of the 3 hours, the side holding the most areas of the field receives the battle points.

It may not sound like a lot but with 40-60 pounds of armor, along with being hit and pushed around, you wear out quickly.

After the battle I spent the afternoon and evening with friends enjoying jokes, music, and filking.

Unfortunately I have to return home on Sunday afternoon so I could be rested up for work the next day.

With packing up and driving home, the trip was exhausting but I arrived home without incident. Even running into some friends that had left a little before me, when I stopped for a bite.

I wish I could do this every weekend but life does not allow for that so I have to plan ahead and work out a schedule. Oh well. Maybe I'll hit the lottery. ROFLMAO!!!

I have been doing this for 20 years and look forward to many more. Maybe I'll meet you at an event someday. Just keep honor and courtesy in your heart and you will always have the soul of a knight.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

1 comment:

  1. Swordbrother, it was a joy and a pleasure to have you in my household camp, I had a great time and I am glad you could make it, I wish we could have had longer, but unfortunately the mundane life beacons us back home. Next year will be epic though.

    ReplyDelete